Did you know that diamonds are classified according to color and clarity? Yes, you read that right. Normally people think that diamonds are expensive and white. But the fact is it comes in several colors. Each color can determine its value and worth.
If you are planning to buy one be sure to study diamond color and clarity. It also comes in many sizes, shapes, and internal characteristics. The best way to classify diamonds which are used by the professionals are the 4C:
For this factor, the colorless are the rarest among all diamonds. They use the GIA color scale. They use the letters D to Z to differentiate the color grades of diamonds. They are perfect to be set on platinum and white gold.
Diamonds graded according to color based on Gia scale :
- DEF= Are known as colorless diamonds. They look icy-white in appearance.
- GHIJ= Are known as nearly colorless diamonds. They contain traces of colors in their bodies when viewed face down. These are the ones used in making engagement rings. Since they are more affordable. They look good with yellow gold or rose gold.
- KLM=Are known as faint colored diamonds. When in a face-up position color is noticeable to the naked eye. These kinds of diamonds match vintage styles and yellow gold rings.
- NOPQR=Are known as the very light yellow diamonds
- TUVWXYZ=Are known as the light yellow diamonds
The colors are very hard to tell. Most of the time only experts can really tell which grade the diamonds are. The more colorless the diamonds are the more expensive it would be.
Since diamonds are formed on the deeper part of the earth. They have blemishes. This is measured by clarity. The more blemishes the diamonds have the less brilliancy.
GIA Clarity scale
- Flawless: No blemishes appearing using 10x magnification. Can only be confirmed by a skilled grader.
- Internally flawless: Almost same as flawless. No blemishes appearing using 10x magnification. Can only be confirmed by a skilled grader.
- VVS1: Blemishes are only visible on the pavilion. But still hard to be seen under 10x magnification even by a skilled grader.
- VVS2: Blemishes are only visible on the crown. But still hard to be seen under 10x magnification even by a skilled grader.
- VS1: Blemishes are seen by the naked eye
- VS2: Almost the same as VS1. Blemishes are seen by the naked eye.
- SI1: Blemishes are noticeable to the naked eye but still require detailed inspection.
- SI2: Blemishes are noticeable to the naked eye.
- I1: Blemishes are obvious.
- I2: Blemishes are obvious.
- 13: Blemishes are obvious and can even affect the durability of the diamond.
Blemishes mentioned are usually called inclusions. These inclusions can classify the clarity of the diamond.
Types of Inclusions:
This type of inclusions has a hair-like form at the girdle area caused by improper bruting processes.
This type of inclusion can make the diamond appear hazy. Usually caused by irregular crystal growth. May appear as colored, whitish, and reflective lines.
These types of inclusions are usually deep openings on the surface. It can be created during the polishing process.
This inclusion can be caused by the presence of minerals. Crystals vary in color from colorless, black, reddish, greenish, and so on.
This type of inclusion is usually a cluster of pinpoint crystals that are very close to each other. It can be an issue with the transparency of the diamond.
Diamonds are one of the most expensive gems and flawless ones are rare to find. The durability and worth depend on its color and clarity. Diamonds are minerals composed of carbons. Subjected to high temperature and pressure underneath the ground. Due to its optical properties, it was loved by many and has been commercialized to be used in making pieces of jewelry. Particularly popular on engagement rings. People have accustomed it to reflect the value of how much a person loves their fiance is the same as the diamonds worth place on the engagement ring.
Its appearance is indeed astonishing as well as the properties mentioned earlier. With all the characteristics it has. It is indeed a precious gem. However, not all could afford it because of its high cost. Still, since it has several classifications, having diamond even with the lowest grade can be a good asset.
How To Decide Whether or Not to Outsource Your HR Department
Portugal and Spain – November 2022
51 Ways to Define Leadership